Monday, October 10, 2011

Another Great Journey -- One Last Day

The final morning of our trip was wonderfully sunny.  The sky was clear and blue and Akaroa took on a more inviting feel in the light.  As Isabella and I had only seen the town after dark we were pleasantly surprised by how quaint everything looked.  Although we had to leave for Christchurch fairly early, we took the time to take a stroll down the main street.  It wasn't very long, underlying the town's small population, but quite a pleasant little walk.  Having mostly packed the night before, Isabella and I made our way back to the hostel and drov towards Christchurch.

We wound our way up the mountain road that we had taken the evening before and were treated to some truly spectacular views.  Along the way, by a roadside coffeeshop, we pulled over and gazed at the valley before us.  We were up on one ridge and there was another set of mountains on the other side but between them, you could see an arm of the sea.  There were some sheep, lots of trees, but no houses.  You got the feeling that though close to civilization, the Banks Peninsula was still somewhat removed from it.  There is no denying, though, that the peninsula is one of New Zealand's most beautiful places.

After our quick stop, we continued on to Christchurch.  Akaroa is not that far away, only about 60 kilometers, but it takes some time to get there owing to the mountainous road and then you have to take some pretty busy suburban streets.  There was more traffic on them than usual because cars were still not allowed into the city center.  We drove cautiously around the Christchurch before getting to Main North Road.

Isabella would be continuing her excursions by bicycle in New Zealand and she needed to get north to Cheviot and then Kaikoura, and this was the principal route.  Bicycles are forbidden on the main highway north out of Christchurch for some 30 kilometers which necessitated Isabella taking the road.  We parked by a city park and loaded the bicycle.  Isabella was quite well prepared and in very short order was ready to proceed north.  We said our goodbyes and I watched as Isabella pedalled with all her strength towards Cheviot.

I turned the car around, filled it up and returned it to the rental agency.  Their van then drove me back to the airport where I boarded my plane and flew off.

I very much enjoyed this trip, both for the company and the fact that I saw places I never had or had not visited for quite some time.  It was good to get out of Canberra for a while and just relax, and I think everyone deserves a vacation every now and again.  I hope this is not the end of my great journeys and adventures and I look forward to many more in the future.  Who knows where my next adventure will be?




No comments: