Monday, March 10, 2008

If You're Goin'...

My journey to Australia was punctuated by another stop in one of the great cities of the Pacific, San Francisco. Those who've been, say that the city is one of the most beautiful in the world and it's not hard to see why. The climate is often agreeable, the city is vibrant with cultural life and it is a bastion of progressive thinking. San Francisco, also called "San Fran" and "Frisco", has attracted many to it with its vitality and spirit. The phrase "I left my heart in San Francsico" can ring true in more ways than 1.

I spent the better part of 5 days in the city and I shall endeavour, as much as is reasonably possible to convey the adventures, or at least their highlights, on a day-by-day basis. The blogging site I'm using only allows 8MB of photos per post so I must be more selective than I was with my previous blog. However, I hope that I can convey at least some of spectacular scenery I saw in San Francisco. By virtue of the passage of time, I may not be able to remember everything of interest that happened to me but here it goes.

Departing Regina, I was excited to visit San Francisco, a city to which I had previously not been. My parents had travelled there some months before and had enjoyed it. A few other people had been there but all had positive recollections of the city. I couldn't wait to see the city for myself. In the air, I crossed the Rocky Mountains on my way to Vancouver, where I cleared US customs and boarded my plane for San Francsico.

I arrived in the evening and having collected and stored my baggage, I boarded the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) to go to my hotel, the Powell. It sits just off market street, the main thoroughfare, right beside the Powell Street Cable Car turnaround.

After settling in to my hotel, I stepped out into the night to see the goings on. The square was still alive with people well after sunset. I wandered the streets for a little while before I returned to my hotel room to sleep. I anticipated many exciting, though all too brief, days ahead.

No comments: