Sunday, April 13, 2008

Them's the Breaks

After several weeks of study, all of us at ANU now have the good fortune of two weeks of well deserved holidays. Having completed all the required assignments and tests, I'm ready to relax for the next little while, recuperating and readying myself for the 2nd half of the semester. ANU offers 2 two-week mid-semester breaks throughout the year, not to mention a break between semesters 1 and 2. I'll see if I can somehow manage to travel to either Sydney or Melbourne cheaply.

Although it is autumn here, the weather has taken a decidedly more agreeable tone. Temperatures over the last few days have been above 20C and I'm enjoying the constant sunshine. I must prepare myself for winter's onset as Canberra can get quite chilly I'm told. Canberra is at an elevation of roughly 450 meters, but it also sits on the continental side of the Great Dividing Range. This prevents the moderating effects of the ocean that enables Sydney to stay warm year round. However, it also means that Canberra receives warm dry wind from Australia's interior fairly often. While snow is very rare, I'm told that frost is the more common manifestation of winter.

Aside from the weather, only scholastic issues have taken up my time. A short time ago I had to hand in a Contracts assignment that consisted of a summary of a case. Some time later, I had to sit the Torts (civil wrongs) exam, which was open book. I also had to hand in an assignment for another class based on torts and a take home exam based on criminal procedure. All in all, I think I did well in all subjects. I shall have to wait till the end of the month to find out.

On a side note, proctors (exam supervisors) are called "invigilators". I think it's a much more forceful and colourful word. It sounds like a machine of some kind.

No comments: