Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Little Escape

Everyone needs to escape for a little while, if even only mentally. People just weren't meant to sit in one place constantly; we are meant to move. The nomadic instinct, the push to explore, the drive to discover, is very powerful and has been a part of our history since the first of our ancestors realized they could walk and that there was a whole new world just beyond the horizon. In that vein, I felt the need to leave Canberra, if only for a few hours; more on that shortly.

Firstly, the last umpires' training session for the season happened on Tuesday, followed by a reception at the Canberra RSL afterwards. I think it's rather ironic that training finishes just as the days are getting longer and warmer. However, aussie rules is a winter sport and that is how it must be. The Canberra RSL, which is just beside Manuka Oval, hosted the umpires as we reflected on the events of the past year. We'll have another event this Friday to officially conclude the season, which I'm looking forward to. I hope to be mentioned in at least one or two stories.

I hear you asking, what is an RSL? RSL stands for Returned and Services League, which refers to former and current members of the armed forces. In this case, an RSL is something like a legion hall except more like a pub. Usually, there's good food, very reasonably priced. They are common in Australia and can be very large indeed.

I've continued my training at the TAB and it's very enjoyable. I can now tell you, more or less, what a quinella, trifecta, boxed trifecta, exacta and an all-up are, among others. They are all different types of bets and I'll be happy to explain them to anyone who asks. I also learned that the first computers in Australia were used at TABs; this truly is a country which knows its priorities. I will note one difference for the avid gamblers in North America and that is that there is no "show" bet. In Canada, you can back a horse to win (1st), place (1st or 2nd) or show (1st, 2nd or 3rd) but in Australia, there are only the win and place bets, but the place bet covers 1st to 3rd.

On Saturday, an important 3-week festival opened up in Canberra --- Floriade. This is essentially a celebration of spring with flowers everywhere. If this sounds familiar, I have a feeling that the idea was taken from Ottawa's Tulipfest, but I await confirmation. I haven't been down myself yet, but I hope to go. This is the 21st year that it has been put on, which is very important in Australia. Borrowing from the USA, Australians make a big deal of 21st birthdays even though that milestone is meaningless in Australia.

Now to my little escape. I went down to Sydney overnight with some friends and stayed in what seemed like a palatial estate near Coogee Beach. This house is roughly 140 years old and was one of the original homes in the area. I even went onto the roof and had a spectacular view of the ocean. That night, there was a party across the street that the police raided, for what reason, I can't say because it wasn't overly loud. However, it did provide some excitement. The next day, we went for a walk around the base of the cliffs near Coogee before lunch and the return home. Sydney was so warm, and spring hasn't even sprung yet; I'm talking about temperatures approaching 30C. I feel reinvigorated by that trip and I think it provided just the mental escape that I needed in order to better concentrate on my studies. Like I said, we all need a break every now and then.

And now for the weather. It has warmed considerably in the last few days and temperatures are beginning to approach the mid 20s. By the time the equinox comes around, I expect temperatures around 25C. I don't know how I'll survive the summer but I guess I'll have to learn to manage. I do love this weather, though I am more comfortable in the cold, and I can't wait for the summer to get started.

And finally tonight, something about which I've been meaning to write for a while which relates to the differences in mentality between Canada and the US. There is a monument to the Australian people given by the US which stands at the Ministry of Defence. This is a stone column about 30 meters high at the end of a major road and topped with a stylized American eagle in stone. Canada's donation to Australia consists of a 10 meter high flagpole. I though to myself, how typically Canadian such a gift is --- unassuming, cheap and practical. Can there be any better kind of gift?

No comments: