Sunday, November 30, 2008

The End of a Season, and the Beginning of Another

Today is the last day of official spring in Australia with the summer season beginning tomorrow. Actually, I expected it to be hotter by now, but its been sitting around the mid 20s for a while. Maybe the temperatures will go up soon because I can't wait to get stuck in to the heat.

I'm actually a little sad since I had to break a nice tradition this year. Every year since 1989 my dad and I have watched the Grey Cup together but I couldn't do it this year. There are some drawbacks to being in Australia. I couldn't find anywhere in Canberra that would be showing the Grey Cup on TV. I kept up to date on http://www.cfl.ca/ and a friend from back home filmed it and is sending it to me, so I'll be able to watch it. Unfortunately, the same will apply to the Superbowl that my dad and I have watched continuously since 1991. I'll just have to bear it as best I can.

With so many people moving out of Fenner, there is a tradition called "Dump and Pillage" where people leave stuff that they can't or don't want to take with them. Anyone who wants them can then take them for free. I've got so many ladles, cutlery and other assorted kitchenware. I've also managed to score a set of speakers for the computer, a TV, a stereo that I'm holding over the summer for a friend and a portable TV. I've finally got everything I need and it feels great.

With the school year over, Fenner Hall has really emptied, especially my floor. Out of 24 people, there will only 7 staying the whole summer. It's really quiet, except for the odd conference with people staying over. I'll see what it's like but I think it'll be enjoyable to be in a big empty house.

The reason I'm posting late is that I worked late yesterday and had to work early today at the Canberra Race Course for the Canberra Cup. Like the Melbourne Cup, only on a much smaller scale, this is an important race in the city. I worked in the main area and had many people come give me bets to place. We were given KFC for lunch that was delivered in large boxes and I even got to take some home; food for a few days. There were even some people who thought that I was good luck. What do you know, I guess I'm lucky! It was an interesting race with a long shot winning the race. I had someone win $600 but no really big wins. I then went out to O'Reilly's, a pub, before heading home.

What better way to ring in a new season that with a root canal. Tomorrow, I go to the endodontist to get a root canal for that tooth that was bothering me. I'm hoping everything will go alright and I can finally stop worrying about that tooth. Let's hope summer is a lucky season.
















1 comment:

Adrian said...

Why are horse jockeys all midgets?