Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bad Dreams

I had a bad dream the other night. It wasn't so much bad in the terrifying sense, but bad in a kind of pathetic way. I think I've been at law school too long because I had a dream yesterday involving legal principles. This wasn't a dream where I was a lawyer or a judge, this was actually me back in high school during a student election. While my high school did have elections, the one in my dream was purely fictional; the result of my active subconscious. In this dream, some students were taking down posters of a candidate because the posters did not conform to some stipulation. In my dream, I then question if this was the result of a jurisdictional or procedural error. These are terms from my administrative law class, the first causing an act to be necessarily invalid and the latter not necessarily so. At the beginning of the year, our lecturer had stated that at one point he had dreamed about administrative law and even quoted a provision in his sleep. I'm not at that point yet, but I've moved one very big step closer. I think I need to unwind; I've got too much administrative law on the brain.

I've had a few other interesting dreams, such as one where I travelled back in time to the Canberra bushfires of 2003 and another involving a nuclear bomb of some kind. If only we could record our dreams visually, what fun we'd have. Perhaps as a result of this bizarre cranial activity, I've been waking up each morning earlier than usual. Not in the middle of the night, but early in the morning. Luckily, I don't mind this because it means I can go back to sleep for a little while.

I've been working, slowly, on my two assignments for most of the week and other than being called in to fill in at an ACTTAB outlet, there hasn't been much going on. I've managed to get some good hours in and I'm looking forward to my next paycheque. My record at guessing AFL winners now stands at 18-7 with 5 more games to go this weekend. If only I was a betting man, but I know the moment I start putting money on, my picks will end up losing. Well, nose back to the grindstone. Those assignments won't write themselves, unfortunately.

No comments: