Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dusty Days

Although it's been a short week, there's quite a bit to report. With the break now more or less begun, I'm off to visit family friends in Newcastle and then Melbourne. A well-deserved break is something to look forward to. I'll relay my adventures in Newcastle next Tuesday, the day between my Newcastle and Melbourne trips.

Early this week, with the weather warm and sunny, I stopped by Floriade, Canberra's annual spring flower festival. Although a bit windy, the weather was otherwise perfect for an outing --- 20C and sunny. This year's theme for Floriade is Mind, Body and Soul, so all the floral displays are something along those lines. I entered the park and just had a bit of a ferret around. The floral displays were colourful and interesting. There was also an amusement park section, a lantern tree, some interesting statues and small painted gnomes which I understand are a Floriade tradition. Although not too bad, I preferred last year's theme of Australian movies; it seemed to have more creativity in it.

At university, I got some good news. I got 13/15 (86.6666%) on a test worth 30% of the overall grade. The test wasn't overly difficult, a 15 question multiple choice test, but there were some questions which could have tripped you up. I'm a little miffed because I could have had 14/15 if I hadn't second-guessed myself. Then again, if I hadn't second-guessed myself on another question I would have had 12/15. Either way, anything over 70% is considered fantastic at law school. I think it's my 1st HD (high distinction) that wasn't a class participation grade. I'll take it.

At Fenner Hall, I seem to have taught some people a new word, "babunya" (bah-BOO-nyah) which means "grandmother" in Ukrainian. As it turns out, there is another Ukrainian studying at the ANU, though not living at Fenner. We were introduced and got to talking Ukrainian and I mentioned my family's history. Lisa, my floor's former SR, overheard us talking, actually she was sort of eavesdropping, and heard me say "babunya". At first she thought it meant "baboon". I've since set her right and it's become a sort of running joke on the floor.

As well this week, there was a rare meteorological event that may have made the news in Canada. Strong winds in the continent's interior blew dust into the eastern regions. Since Australian soil is red, Canberra, Sydney and other major centers were enveloped in an eerie red "fog" in the morning as the morning sun amplified the red tinge of the soil. As the day wore on, the colour changed to a sort of dull brown pall. It's quite rare for something like this to happen and the morning pictures out of Sydney were especially haunting. As if that weren't enough, the dust storm was followed by rolling thunderstorms. We're in for more stormy weather in Canberra, but luckily I'll be in Newcastle where the weather is predicted to be significantly warmer and sunnier.

Today, I went to the opening night of Fenner Hall's annual musical, this year called A Bit of This...and a Bit of That. It was a collection of songs from various musicals and movies, bear with me as I give you a list. There was: Circle of Life from The Lion King, All I Ask of You from The Phantom of the Opera, Anything Goes from Anything Goes, I am What I am from La Cage aux Folles (The Bird Cage), La Vie Boheme from Rent, Memory from Cats, Luck be a Lady from Guys and Dolls, (Always Look on the) Bright Side of Life from Spamalot, On My Own from Les Miserables, Footloose from Footloose, Seasons of Love from Rent, If I were a Rich Man from Fiddler of the Roof, I'm Gonna Wash that Man Right Outta My Hair from South Pacific, Hakuna Matata from The Lion King, Master of the House from Les Miserables, Elephant Love Medley from Moulin Rouge, Big Spender from Sweet Charity, Greased Lightning from Grease, With One Look from Sunset Boulevard and The Time Warp from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The show was absolutely superb. The singing was fantastic, as was the choreography. I would seriously consider going again except that I'll be away. It really had to be seen to be believed. A little known fact about one of the songs. Footloose was written by Kenny Loggins who also gave us Highway to the Danger Zone, the theme to Top Gun. It's so hard to imagine when you hear the two songs.

And finally, I'll leave you with a funny quote I came across the other day, as best I can remember it. "I recently came across two very rare photographs. One was of Houdini having locked himself out of his car and the other was Norman Rockwell beating a child."









No comments: