Friday, December 25, 2009

Summer Santa

Christmas is here! Well, western European Christmas, anyway. I still celebrate Christmas according to the old Julian calendar which makes it January 6th and 7th. In any event, the season is upon us and even in the Australian summer, people are celebrating. Today was hot day, close to 35C but tomorrow brings a cool change. As well, many people out west are getting exactly what they wished for --- rain. It's about time too. Actually, I think the drought may be easing up and if any more cyclones manage to breach Australia's interior, it may break altogether. That would be a great present for the New Year.

Before Christmas, there was the solstice --- the longest day of the year. Some people celebrate it but it usually goes by unnoticed. Actually, Christmas is celebrated in December because it is around the time of the solstice and many pagan rituals occurred at that time as well.

Also on solstice day, the Plast organization in Canberra had it end of year ceremony, called an "apel'". It was quite short but was followed afterwards by pinatas and a barbeque. We won't have meetings again until sometime in February and all in all, it was a good year.

Now, the main thing to concentrate on is the upcoming Plast camp. I'm leaving Canberra for Melbourne tomorrow and then I'll be driven to the camp which starts on the 26th. It's being held in Angahook Lorne National Park southwest of Geelong at a property called "Sokil" (SOH-keel) which is Ukrainian for "hawk". Last year I gave the Sydney camp a go, so this year it's Melbourne's turn. I'll be away from Canberra until January 5th and I'm very much looking forward to another camping experience. This one will have a 3-day bike hike.

As for doing something for Christmas, I haven't really mostly because it isn't really Christmas for me and I had to pack for camp. I did, however, watch the absolutely hilarious movie Bad Santa as well as listened to Lorenna McKinnett sing a few Christmas carols. In any event, to all those who are celebrating, I wish you a merry Christmas and a happy New Year and to those who prefer a more expansive salutation, I further wish you happy holidays and season's greetings.





No comments: