Sunday, February 7, 2010

I'm a Noun and an Adjective

There really hasn't been that much to report this week. There's a multicultural festival on that so far I haven't been able to visit, one of my classes begins in a week and I'm about to begin supervisor training at ACTTAB, but really, that's it. I guess I'll just fill this post with uninteresting filler. I also wish the New Orleans Saints luck in the coming Superbowl.

I've been getting ready for my trip to Perth by buying maps of the city; one is a complete street directory while the other is a small one I can take with me. I'm getting excited to see the city. I hope Perth will be interesting and it'll be a good reward for a summer well-spent.

I've seen in the news that the Australian Olympic team is under pressure for the International Olympic Committee to take down the boxing kangaroo banner they have hanging off their balcony because it's a registered trademark. This might give me something for intellectual property this semester. So far the Australians have resisted and judging by the posts on cbc.ca, most people support them. Speaking of intellectual property, an interesting case was decided in the Federal Court the other day. It turns out that Men at Work's famous song Land Down Under has a flute riff that sounds too much like Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree, which turns out to be a copyright violation. Personally, I would have thrown the suit out because the copyright owners took too long to file it. The current owners bought the rights to the song around 2000 and only brought suit 2 years ago. I think equity should have mandated a dismissal. Copyright, along with privacy, seems to be one of those areas of the law that have been taken too far and people treat as sacred. I really don't understand it.

In good news, Australia's been getting a lot of rain, especially in the interior where it needs it. In Canberra, it looks like we'll be getting a week of rainy weather, though not continuous. Still, it's good for the ground and the reservoirs. I maintain my belief that the drought is slowly breaking.

I also went on to urbandictionary.com and found the following definition. It's a little contradictory but I hope it's true. Roman, also roman: noun or adjective, "a really hot guy who isn't ugly but isn't all that physically attractive, yet he has something that attracts girls." Maybe it hasn't been such a boring week after all.

No comments: