Monday, March 15, 2010

A Walk in the Park

Perth is home to one of the finest urban parks in the world. King's Park is located on a rise just outside the central business district. Created for the citizens Perth to enjoy some peace in the city, King's Park is quite large and holds a splendid collection of native and foreign flora.

I entered King's Park via an avenue lined by large karri trees. Once in the park, you can walk any of several trails that lead you through native bushland and botanical gardens. There are also several war memorials with great views of the city. There's even a large double-helixed called the DNA Tower from which you get a good view of the park. From there you realize that the groomed portion is just a small portion of the whole, the majority is native bushland. Interestingly, there's even a wishing well that was out of order. Think about that for a second.

It felt as though I had walked about half the park by the end of the afternoon but it could only have been a small percentage. I made my way back to the hostel where I had to lie down for a while. All that walking had taken its toll on my muscles and I wanted to be rested up for that night. I wanted to check out Northbridge, Perth's night life center.

After nightfall I explored Northbridge. At first it didn't look like much but as I made my way further in it transformed into a bustling hive of lights and people. Clubs and restaurants were open and there seemed to be a myriad of people milling about, having a good time. It was a warm night with a cool breeze so I imagine it was a great night to eat out. The night before it had been Chinese New Year's and I had heard the fireworks form the hostel. It really is the area that anyone who's anyone finds themselves in.

I decided that before I left I had to get some night photos of Perth's skyscrapers from the other side of the Swan River. I walked to the south bank of Perth Water and managed to get some good photographs. I slept well, though only for a short time, as I had to leave early to catch my flight.

Perth is my second favourite city in Australia. After Darwin, I think Perth is where I'd live if I had a choice. The climate is wonderful, it's a nice city, it's not too big and not too busy. I don't understand why anyone would want to leave. Then again, the Western Australians are a little funny. Being so isolated has maybe given them a slight case of collective cabin fever. Nevertheless, I think it's worth the risk to live in Perth. A well spent trip indeed.

















No comments: