Monday, August 30, 2010

For One Who's Come Across the Seas

I had a rather interesting visitor this past week. My cousin Laura, who has been teaching English in South Korea for the past 5.5 years, paid me a visit. She stayed most of the week in Canberra and I managed to show her around. She seemed rather impressed with Australia and said repeatedly that she plans to return. Her time in Korea runs out in February and after some travelling she'll be taking up some sort of position, teaching again I think, in Pakistan.

Laura arrived last Monday in what turned out to be a very odd week weather-wise. The whole of the week was quite cold and cloudy whereas Canberra usually has at least a few sunny days per week. It was windy, rainy and even had a touch of wet snow. At any event, because of my rather hectic schedule Laura took in many of the sights by herself but made some friends along the way I understand. We did get to see one attraction together and that was Old Parliament House.

Not too far from New Parliament House is the Old, or Provisional, Parliament House. From 1927-1988 this was the seat of Australia's government. Built rather hastily in the art deco style, Old Parliament House was originally supposed to be Parliament's home for a few years until the permanent structure was built. However, the Great Depression and World War Two prevented construction and Old Parliament House served its role until 1988. In 1927 there were 300 people working in the edifice (including politicians, journalists, political staff and building staff) but by 1988 that number had increased to 3 000 and the building simply couldn't cope with the numbers.

Old Parliament House is now the Australian Museum of Democracy and I took Laura there because it wasn't too far away and I'd never been there myself --- and we were both pleasantly surprised. Recently refurbished, the interior, while left mostly in its original state, is now full of interactive displays about the history of Australian democracy. Laura and I wandered through the building which was fairly empty given that it was late afternoon and marvelled at it. The Prime Minister's office I found particularly interesting given the near-street level windows that would now make for a security nightmare and the spy hole that the PM's secretary could use to make sure he was alright. Because Laura and I were more or less the only ones there, we got something of a private tour of a section of Old Parliament House.

The one thing I truly remarked about Old Parliament House was how cozy it felt. Because it was meant to be temporary, it was never built to a grand size, like Canada's Centre Block, which can have a cold sterile feel about it, especially given that it's made of stone. Old Parliament House, on the other hand, has a sort of organic quality and walking through the narrow halls you get a sense of belonging or something. Unfortunately it was too late in the day to thoroughly explore every nook and cranny but I plan to come back once I have more free time to really explore Old Parliament House. Given the history that has been made therein, I think it's one of Canberra's great treasures.

A few days later, Laura left for Sydney on a weekend trip to have a tour of the Opera House and take in a concert. When she got back, she could not help but rave at the experience although she did say that she would prefer to live in a small city like Canberra. Quite early this morning Laura flew out to return to Korea but I imagine that this trip has only whet her appetite for Australia. She would not be alone if that is the case as many have succumbed to the same feeling.

The other news worthy of report is that there is still no decision as to who will form the next government. The Labor Party has 73 seats (thanks to the one Green Party member), the Liberal Party has 73 seats (thanks to its coalition) meaning that the fate of Australia now rests in the hands of 4 independent members. Talks between them and both large factions are currently underway but so far no resolution. Let's hope they sort themselves out soon.







1 comment:

Bengoshi said...

You look like a natural jurist in that last photo, including the blank look. How many times I saw that look coming from the bench, and I knew I was in trouble with my argument.