Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ultimatum

I guess it hasn't really sunk in yet, but I've had what are hopefully my final classes in my law degree. All that's left now is to tackle the exams and hope that I do well enough to pass and, consequently, graduate. It's unusual to think that this JD is my final degree and that I will shortly have to start looking for employment in the legal sector. After the completion of the GDLP, I will be out in the real world, which is a scary thought. Like most prisoners I've become institutionalized and I wonder if I'll make it out there.

I finally completed the long essay I had due for my internship and I was quite glad to be rid of it. After a while, it just turned into a series of tortuous disappointments. The thing never really came together as I wanted it to. The problem is that it was based on an almost entirely theoretical/philosophical argument for which there is very little empirical evidence. I was arguing that Australia should follow the Canadian example and allow the intention to temporarily deprive to be theft, as opposed to permanently deprive as it now stands. The supervisor assessed it at a Pass level and at this point, I'm perfectly satisfied with that. Obviously, it's a bit disheartening as I would have like the mark to have been higher, especially as this was a topic I was particularly keen about, but I'll take the Pass.

On Friday, I went to Fenner Hall's annual Valete Ball, a function which honours graduating residents, of which I hope to be one shortly. Valete was held in the Great Hall of University House and consisted of a buffet dinner followed by speeches and a few awards. Each graduating student was gifted a metal mug with the residence's crest engraved in it. From now on, my constant endeavour will be to earn that mug.

At another even earlier in the week, I received a Fenner Hall Spartos Award, which are given out for various deeds in sports and arts. I was given the award for my contribution to Fenner Hall's win at the Interhall Trivia Night earlier this year.

I also followed Ottawa's mayoral race with some keeness and see that Jim Watson is the new mayor, which, I'm sure, displeased my father. I was particularly interested in the fact that Jim's campaign headquarters was in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church on Byron Avenue, a venue I know well. I wonder why he chose that particular venue? All I hope is that this won't derail the plans for the underground LRT tunnel or the planned refurbishment of Landsdowne Park, which looks very promising.





1 comment:

Adrian said...

No, you got it wrong. His campaign HQ was on Richmond - I did phone canvassing. Watson rented the Orthodox Church Hall for his victory celebration (was there too).