Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Continuing

This will be a very short post as I can't think of much to report.  With the exam season winding down, Fenner Hall has been emptying out slowly.  I think a lot of people are eager to leave for the summer and get home for those precious few months of freedom.  Those that are staying are in for a quiet time until February.  Summer in Fenner Hall is actually quite pleasant and it's nice and quiet.  This year, though they're moving everyone who's staying in South Tower over to North Tower as they're replacing the carpeting and taking the asbestos tiles out of the floors.  The administration is also planning more activities than in previous years so at least we'll be occupied.

Beyond that, the only other event of note was last Sunday I got together with some friends of mine and we had a venison and mead roast dinner.  As you may know, venison is deer meat and mead is an alcoholic drink made from fermenting honey.  My friends Kai and Eleanor are engaged and recently moved to an apartment.  Kai is a blacksmith who makes Dark Ages weaponry and is a bit of an enthusiast of the era.  A few months back I suggested that Kai, Eleanor and I get together for an old-fashioned dinner involving mead and venison, 2 staples of the Viking diet.

The original idea was that Kai would hunt the deer and prepare the venison himself.  Unfortunately, this year feral deer have been scarce in the mountains so I said that I would buy the venison and supply the mead if he and Eleanor would prepare it and supply the side dishes.  I got a hold of 2.6 kg of venison from a butcher who had to order it in.  I then handed it over to Kai and Eleanor and they agreed to make a roast on Sunday.  In Australia there is a tradition of having a lamb roast on Sundays, called the Sunday roast, so this was a nice little spin on a tradition.

So, last Sunday I arrived at Kai and Eleanor's and along for the dinner were Eleanor's brother, Nathan, and a mutual friend of our's Hagen.  It very much a meat, potatoes and vegetables affair and we each had about 1 glass of spiced mead, which is meant to be served hot.  I commended Eleanor and Kai on their preparation of the venison as it was quite excellent.  It's a shame venison is not readily available in supermarkets as it is quite a delicious meat.  At any rate, everyone had a good time and I'm sure the Vikings would have been proud to see their noble customs carried on today.

No comments: