Thursday, December 22, 2011

Meritorious Service

On December 15th, I finally completed the last step in my legal education --- I graduated with the Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from ANU.  With merit, I might add.  According to my diploma (or testamur as it's called at ANU), I finished the course of study with merit, which means better than average but one step below distinction (distinction being the highest level).  I'm pretty happy with my result and it now means I can go forth into the world and seek admission into the legal profession.  This was the last step, academically anyway.

Speaking of admission, I handed in the paperwork to the Supreme Court Registry today.  The woman at the Legal Practitioners Admissions Board sent an e-mail to the registry and I was told that a file would be created right away,  Hopefully this means that there won't be any hiccups like last time.  All things being equal, I'm only about 3 weeks away from admission.  I really can't wait.  I'll finally be a full member of the legal community and I can go up to the Northern Territory confident that I have what it takes to succeed.

Interestingly, I had lunch with some of my law school friends.  1, Roland, still has a semester to complete while the other, Rohan, is working for ACT Legal Aid and already has a practising certificate.  In order to be admitted, an already admitted lawyer must move your admission before the court.  Since Rohan is such, I asked if he would move my admission and he agreed.  So, that's another issue all sorted.

2 world leaders died in the last week or two, Kim Jong Il and Vaclav Havel.  Coincidentally, the day before he died I was just thinking of Vaclav Havel in a very roundabout way.  As Christmas is coming up I got the tune Good King Wenceslaus into my head and Wenceslaus is an English rendering of Vaclav.  From there, I just started wondering what Vaclav Havel was doing and then I read the news.  Life is full of these odd coincidences.  I wasn't really thinking of Kim Jong Il except in the context of the wonderful caricature of him in Team America: World Police.  I hope that North Korea starts to come in from the cold but I realize that is unlikely.  Still, it would be nice if North Korea can emerge from its frozen state but only time will tell.

Finally, I'd like to wish everyone a happy Hanukkah.  It started on the 20th and in the words of Adam Sandler, it goes for "8 crazy nights."

Oh, and here's a photo of my from my GDLP graduation.  It's myself and Dr. Dominique Dalla-Pozza, a professor at ANU who taught me Commonwealth Constitutional Law and now teaches that and Australian Public Law.  I'm the one on the right.


2 comments:

Ho Ho Ho said...

Enjoy the good cheer by laughing with
Americans during Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa

http://bcove.me/imh27a78

Anonymous said...

Thank you for clarifying which one was you - I was confused for a minute