Sunday, June 22, 2008

Free at Last, Free at Last

With the coming of astronomical winter last Saturday, I was finally freed from the torment of this semester in its entirety; I had my final exam, contracts. Although this was the exam I was most concerned about, it turned out not to be too difficult. I think our professor pitied us and set an exam which was relatively simple. None of the juicier topics like the parol evidence rule, promissory estoppel or unconscionability made it onto the exam. The questions tested us on our knowledge of contract formulation and award of damages. This was perhaps just as well since the exam was at 08:30. I'd had trouble falling asleep the night before but fortunately, that didn't seem to have any effect.

With this new found freedom, I can finally relax and plan some travels. I am hoping to go down to Melbourne to visit some family and friends. I would also like to travel to Sydney for the same purpose. I have exactly 1 month (classes start again July 21), to make the rounds of the closest capital cities.

After a week of studying for contracts, I had a bit of a treat today. I volunteered to help sell programs at an aussie rules game, allowing me to get in for free. Although Canberra does not have a professional AFL team, they do travel here sometimes. Today I watched the Sydney Swans play the Melbourne Demons, with Sydney coming out on top, though it was pretty close for a while. I was kind of exciting to watch the footy again, and maybe one day I'll be able to umpire the professional games.

Well, the shortest day of the year has come and gone and we now enter the coldest period of the year. It has gotten a bit chillier but not much. I'm told winter in Canberra can be very pretty, but we shall see. It certainly won't be anything like Ottawa's winters.

2 comments:

Malice Blackheart said...

Yay, freedom!

Yeah, Ottawa winters are crap. In fact, I can't figure out why so many people want to live here. They say things like "I like the people." And you ask them, "so you like other stupid people who like to complain about the weather, rather than just moving." We could all migrate together. It'd be fun.

I saw George at the courthouse. I was under the impression he'd retired.

Anonymous said...

oi. no mention of the party?? tch tch!! how was it not the highlight of the last 4 mths???? (not that there is much to compete with...