Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Root of All Evils

It began sometime last Sunday, a nagging pain in one of my molars. At first I thought it might be a slight inflammation or infection and that it might pass in a few days. However, as the week progressed, the pain became more acute and throbbing. I finally decided to go see a dentist on Friday as the pain was beginning to interfere with my comfort. I couldn't get to sleep for more than a short period of time as the pain kept me up. The dentist, who was very kind, agreed to see me on short notice immediately. A few minutes and an x-ray later, we had the answer to my pain --- the pulp in the root of my tooth was infected. On whatever bright side there may be, at least it wasn't an abscess, which I first suspected. The dentist immediately put me on a full antibiotic regimen, complemented with occasional doses of Nurofen Plus. All that remains to be seen now is if a root canal will be necessary. I'm not looking forward to one if it is necessary. Whatever may happen, the regimen is working and the pain has all but disappeared.

I did have one bit of good fortune this week, other than seeing the dentist right away, and that was an interview at the Canadian High Commission. It is offering 2 internships, both of which I have applied for. The one I was interviewed for was the "Public Affairs Section" internship, which, as I understand it, is mostly PR. I think I went alright but the fact that I'm a student may work against me as it looks that they may require a full-time commitment. I have yet to hear about the second internship, the "Canada Education Centre". This one appears to involve informing Australian students wishing to study in Canada about various things, talking with academics and other educational institutions. I think that as a student who has studied in Canada, Australia and already been on an exchange, I have a unique perspective on the facets of this internship. We shall see what comes of it.

Tonight, I went to a pub for a little while just to soak in the atmosphere. That may not sound very exciting, but if you know me, it's a pretty rare occurrence. I hope that my tooth problems go away and that I'm hired for one of the internships. We all live in hope.

1 comment:

Bengoshi said...

I can feel your pain, as we have had some wisdom tooth extractions recently in my family, with some of them followed by dry socket. Ouch!