Sunday, May 10, 2009

More of the Same

I wish I had a little more excitement in my life. Lately, the routine of school and work has begun to wear me down. This semester isn't as fun as the last ones and the courses are difficult. I only take comfort in the fact that I am not the only one finding concepts of administrative and corporations law to be seriously obtuse. I guess it just gets to you after a while. I don't seem to be doing anything except that which is required, with no time for diversion. I'm second-guessing my choice of studying law but it's still "fun", so I can see the benefit in continuing. I figure everyone has second thoughts on occasions when affairs reach a point of drudgery. I think I just need some thing or event to lift my spirits a bit.

Perhaps to help me, I went with some acquaintances to the new Star Trek movie tonight. It was very well made and the references to the early Star Trek TV series, and the movies, made it enjoyable. The plot, which creates an alternate reality, is either the ultimate stroke of genius or insult. The movie felt more organic than the previous series, which had these characters who we all aspired to be; they were with few flaws and always the good guys. The Enterprise series, I felt, first brought in a more realistic interpretation of humanity by making showing some characters in less than favourable lights. This Star Trek movie continued on that vein, and it was quite exciting as well. I think any Star Trek fan would do well to see it and judge its merits for themselves.

I've also decided to volunteer at Fenner Hall's small alcohol dispensary, called the Warren. First, though, I have to complete an on-line government program to be certified to serve alcohol. This is called the RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certification. It's good for the ACT and Victoria, though not New South Wales, curiously. One thing, I found interesting, though, is that it is illegal to serve straight shots in Canberra. This was put in place some time ago in an attempt to curb binge drinking and its associated problems. While spirits can be mixed in to non-alcoholic drinks, they cannot be served in shot glasses on their own. I don't know if this has made any difference.

Speaking of unusualities, I have to profess a particular aversion to a practice I've seen cropping up in Australia, and that is the word "thankyou". I simply cannot stand it. "Thank you" is two bloody words, "thank" and "you". They are not to be amalgamated into a single word and anyone who does so deserves to be hanged, drawn and quartered.

Back in Ottawa, the trial of Larry O'Brien, the mayor, has begun, or really, the first part of the process. He's pled not guilty to charges of attempting to influence an election. The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) charged His Worship in 2007, I think, in connection with the mayoral race. It is alleged that he offered a Mr. Kilrea, another prominent candidate, his influence to obtain for him a job on the National Parole Board, which in my opinion, is not exactly what I would call a plum government appointment, if Mr. Kilrea would withdraw from the race, which he did. To make such an offer is contrary to the Criminal Code, and Mayor O'Brien is facing 2 or 3 charges. For the duration of the trial, which will begin in June, he said that he will step aside as mayor allowing two councillors, one of whom, Diane Deans, represents my ward, to occupy the post of Acting Mayor. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Lastly, I'll say that I do have something to look forward to, and that is my winter/summer trip to Canada. With the exam schedule more or less finalized, I will be travelling to Canada from June-July roughly corresponding to the winter break here. It will be good to get out of the Canberran winter and into someplace where it is warm, hopefully more than 30C. I leave June 23rd and arrive back in Australia July 18th, which is the Saturday before term starts. The flights have been booked and I've arranged for transportation to and from Sydney by bus. Maybe being back in Canada will do me some good.

1 comment:

Blue Ice-Tea said...

i vote "ultimate stroke of genius". you?