Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sequestration

Swine Flu has hit the ACT and in this smallish community, it has affected some people I am acquainted with, or at least, have probably been in contact with. A man on a city bus was recently ordered to quarantine himself after he tested positive for the H1N1 virus. As a precautionary measure, 3 residents of Fenner Hall have been billeted in alternate accommodations for a week to make sure they don't have the virus. You may have heard of the cruise ship in Sydney that had someone infected with the virus? Well, Murray, a guy I've worked with at ACTTAB was on that ship and now he's quarantined for a week. It's a little scary to think that I may have been in close contact with these people, apart from Murray whom I haven't seen in a while. Although the risk of infection is low, you can't help but wonder. After all, I'm going to Ottawa in June, provided they don't close the borders, which has had reported cases of Swine Flu. I only hope I don't get quarantined on the way back.

Speaking of ACTTAB, we recently introduced a new system for betting on sporting events. By recently, I mean yesterday and I didn't know that until I started my shift. Although it's supposed to offer more choice to the customers, we've received complaints about its complexity and elimination of some options. The change to the new system wrought absolute havoc on the computer system last night and we (the staff) were virtually powerless to correct or assist with errors. There will definitely be some teething problems as the system gets broken in and I can only hope that it'll be worth it in the end. I also received my union card in the mail, giving me conclusive evidence that I am now a member of the USU. Solidarity forever!

In 2004, just before coming to Australia the first time, I took a course in bartending. I didn't get a chance to use it in Australia but I now have a second chance. I'll be volunteering at the Warren, the "canteen" at Fenner Hall starting in August. I've actually done a bit at the Warren before but as this year is much quieter than last year, business has been pretty slow. First, I had to get a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) Certificate which I completed online in about 1 hour. I am now qualified to serve alcohol in all states and territories of Australia save New South Wales and Queensland. I hope to make some of my famous cocktails for the residents very soon. I had the idea of a shot called the "Jack and Jim" which consists of one part Jack Daniels and one part Jim Beam; I have no idea what that would taste like.

At umpire training on Saturday I was very impressed with myself as I did a non-stop run of approximately 6km. This is the furthest I've ever run without stopping, although at around the 4km mark we did some calisthenics. I think I'm in the best shape I've ever been. According to my bathroom scale, I've levelled off around 82kg which is about average for someone my height. I really feel good about myself and the difference from when I first arrived in Australia at 92 kg is noticeable. After that long run, I got a very effective and painful neck massage from the visiting masseuse. She says I should get a whole body treatment as I've a lot of tension in my muscles. I might just go in for one, but not yet.

At university, the end draws nigh. There is only 1 week left before exams begin and it's a funny thing. When semester begins, you can't wait for it to be over but now that the end is here, you want a few more weeks to shore up your knowledge. I'll just have to make the best of it. I think I understand my subjects but that could just be me thinking I understand my subjects. We'll find out fairly soon, won't we.

Have you ever had a piece of music stuck in your head and can't remember what it's called or even if you've ever heard it? A few months ago, a little melody popped into my head and I couldn't figure out if I'd heard it or made it up. Then, a few days ago, I heard it in 2 movies, Bad Santa and Eyes Wide Shut, in the space of a few days. It turns out to be a jazz suite waltz by Dmitri Shostakovitch. It was really bugging me but now, at least I know.

And may I make one further recommendation. I think everyone should have a listen to the BBC shipping forecast over the radio or internet. I learned about it recently and have started to listen to it. It's more than a mere weather report; it's an experience. It follows a specific format and has its own jargon for those in the know. Essentially it is a sea weather report with various parts of the north Atlantic around the British Isles divided up into sectors. The sector reports are given in a specific order and if you know the jargon, in a few words, you can know the weather for the next 24 hours. It doesn't sound exciting but once you get into it, you learn to love it.

No comments: