Sunday, June 21, 2009

Freedom! Horrible, Horrible Freedom!

It's finally happened. The semester is over. All exams written and handed in. You hope you've done well and hope you've done you're best. I'd like to think I've done both. My exams were not exactly easy, but none were ridiculously difficult. In a few weeks I'll find out if I have to sit in any supplementaries. Hopefully not. To write another exam or, heaven forbid, redo a course, sort of feels like paying twice for the same real estate. I think I've done alright. the end of this semester also signifies the end of half of my degree. It won't be long now.

I had my end of year performance review at ACTTAB and things went very well. It turns out people are quite happy with my performance and are generally pleased to work with me. It entitled me to a little raise, or as they say here, a rise. I'm now making just under $26/hr which is fantastic considering the amount of work I actually do. And in this economic crisis, I'm glad for the money. Next semester my schedule will be a little more conducive to ACTTAB so I'm looking forward to raking it in hand over fist.

Tomorrow I'm off to Queanbeyan to officiate a footy match and then go to something called the "Day of Heroes". It's some sort of Ukrainian event commemorating someone or other. I've never heard of it so I guess I'll find out then.

Speaking of Ukrainians, Viktor Yushchenko, the President of Ukraine, was supposed to visit Australia last week, but his trip was cancelled. Apparently the political situation in Ukraine is such that he needs to be personally there. Oh well. I'm sure there will be another occasion for him to come Down Under. We Ukrainians in Canberra were kind of hoping for something big but I guess we'll have to wait.

With the semester truly over, I'll be off to Canada for the next 3 weeks, returning just before the start of the 2nd semester. It'll be nice to bask in Ottawa's 30C weather while Canberra freezes and celebrate Canada Day in Ottawa. I leave Tuesday but I'm staying in Sydney overnight at a friend's. My brother will meet me at the departure gate and together we'll cross the Pacific. He'll spend most of the Canadian summer at Camp Borden (or as I call it, Camp Boredom), teaching young cadets how to play musical instruments. I keep telling him that he should join the army since he enjoys it so much. Anyway, I look forward to seeing some familiar faces though I've been in Australia for so long, Canada may seem foreign.

One last quip. What was the name of Scotland's Jewish national poet? Rabbi Burns! I think it's funny even if you don't.

No comments: