Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cup of Bane

Since time immemorial, exams have been the bane of students everywhere. They are nerve-racking, long and determinative of many of your short-term plans. Originally they were oral, but in 1792, the old men in charge of Cambridge University realized that they could assess students more efficiently (more students = more money), if they created a set test on which students would produce their knowledge. They had invented the exam. Although I'm sure there are records, I wonder who were the first people to pass and fail such an exam? Since that time, students have awaited the end of semester with great trepidation, and are on tenterhooks until the results are released, which is just as bad. I have had the unfortunate instance of having to sit 2 such exams in fairly rapid succession and now I too find myself anxiously awaiting my results, which won't be available for about a month.

The first exam was property law, on Friday. I had prepared very thoroughly for this one as it is a required course and it has a historically high failure rate. I, along with 2 learned colleagues, set up a small study group and we each took portions of the course and created our summaries. Law school exams tend to be open book and these summaries (which summarize the course) are the law student's greatest sword and shield. I studied for days to make sure I understood the principles and law in question, although once written, one is never sure how one actually did. As a reward for my hard study, I watched an episode of Yes, Minister called The Skeleton in the Cupboard which dealt with a property issue.

The exam itself was held on a cold sunny morning. I did what I feel is my best and we shall see how the lecturers assess me. With the exam worth 100% of the mark, I hope I did well. To be honest, I'm happy enough just to pass the course. The exam wasn't overly difficult and I think I spotted all the critical issues, but only the assessment will determine that. I live in hope. Last year, nearly half the class failed the exam due to the application of Torrens system (registration of property) mortgage principles to an old law question. The differences between the Torrens system and the old law are too technical to be worthy of description here, but sufficeit to say, that the error described was a fundamental flaw. To that end, I think the professors treated this year's class with kid gloves. I can only hope that is the case.

The next day, I had my exam in litigation and dispute management, also a compulsory course; keep in mind that this was a cold Saturday morning of a long weekend. This particular exam was worth 90% of my mark and I also hope I did well. I had prepared earlier but had to make way for property. With less than 24 hours between the exams, I had to do a quick brush up but I think I recognized all the principle issues in the questions after discussing with my learned colleagues.

A good number of us were rather disheartened about the date of this latest exam. Originally it had been set for the following Friday (18/06) which would have given about 1 whole week between each of my exams. I was happy about this but then the course convenors decided that due to the potential graduation of some students in the class, the exam should be moved forward to assist them. It created a rather anomalous situation where I now have 2 full weeks between my penultimate and ultimate exams, the last one being intellectual property. The only benefit I can see is that it gives me more time to study for this last exam, but I think the situation was undeserved. I hope that it did not affect my results or if it did, that the examiners take the proximity of the property exam into account, and if they do not, I plan to raise it. However, I live in hope.

On the day before my property exam I did receive a certain boost to my spirit. I found out that my final mark for the postgraduate course I had enrolled in, Freedom of Information and Privacy, was a Distinction. That is a very good mark, especially for a postgraduate course at law school, and I was very pleasantly surprised. This came as a result of the assessment of my second paper in that course, worth 50%. My first mark had been a Credit and I actually thought that this subsequent essay was not as good as the first, but fortunately, the professor disagreed. I used this as incentive to keep going and to keep my spirits up through this trying time. I live in hope.

Finally, of course, the world's largest single sporting competition, the FIFA World Cup has begun in South Africa. I wish all the competitors "Qaplah!" --- Klingon for "success". After only a few short weeks, one team will stand victorious on the field of Soccer City Stadium in Johannesburg. It also is a great chance for South Africa to showcase itself as more than just the crime-ridden and troubled richest country in Africa. If the country can pull this off, it will mean a huge boost for South Africa, in terms of increased tourism, exposure, good press and standing in the world. Let's all hope this World Cup proves to be everything South Africa hopes and needs. For a while at least, let's all live in hope.

1 comment:

bengoshi said...

I was reading aloud the last paragraph about the World Cup to a frenetic soccer fan, my daughter, who thought it was sad that she understood the meaning of "Qaplah!" before I even read the translation for her.