Sunday, June 6, 2010

Leased Time

Semester 1 has more or less officially ended and that is left for me know is the joy of exams, like a desert stretching to infinity. My original exam schedule consisted of 3 exams, each with a week between them, which was quite acceptable for me. However, the Litigation and Dispute Management exam was moved a weak earlier so that now I have 2 exams in succession and then a 2 week break until the last one. Add to that, that last exam is on the last possible day meaning I shall have a much truncated vacation period. I'll just have to bear it, I suppose, but I'm not exactly ecstatic about it.

I did have one ray of hope, though, which involved my property exam. Some potentially examinable material on leases was not mentioned in class but put in course notes. Before I had a chance to read those, I had a tutorial where we dealt with some of that material. While I won't bore you with the technicalities of leases, in the example problem we went through, there was a question about clause in a lease which purported to prevent the lessee from subleasing. As I read that, knowing what I do about property, I questioned whether or not such a clause would be upheld by a court. The answer was that it probably wouldn't. I was quietly proud of myself for surmising the answer without actually having read the material. I hope it means I have the hang of property.

In slightly more distressing news, recent crime statistics reveal that the suburb I live in, Braddon, has the highest crime level in the city. While nothing of mine has been stolen and I've never been threatened, even at night, I have heard stories. Part of the problem seems to be the large amount of government and low income housing in the area. However, it would be unfair to say that those things in and of themselves are the sources of crime. It seems that most student housing is in rather dodgy areas, though, I assume because of the low cost of property. In any case, I don't have that much longer in the area.

No comments: