Monday, October 31, 2011

2-0-0

According to postings list on my blog, this is my 200th post.  It feels like a bit of an achievement and it's hard to believe that it's been so long since I came to Australia.  I've spent such a long time here that in many ways I consider myself Australian, although the Department of Immigration and Citizenship would disagree.  Still, even if I don't end up living in Australia permanently, I think Australia will always be alike a second home; perhaps sort of like a cottage, not where you live, but where you go to relax and have a fun time.  I wouldn't mind living here permanently, don't get me wrong, but bureaucracy is mighty fortress.

There have been a few interesting events in the last few days, my brother's birthday for one.  He's now 26 and almost in his late 20s.  He tells me he enjoyed the dinner mom, dad and he had so I guess it's another enjoyable birthday for him.

Yesterday was also the yearly Fenner Hall Valete Ball, a celebration of those who are graduating and/or moving out.  Since I was finishing my diploma this year I was entitled to attend and I received, like last year, a metal cup with Fenner Hall's crest engraved on it although it is smaller than last year's.  Interestingly, I was the first person called up.  The whole affair was quite formal and everyone was dressed in their best.  There were also awards to those who had made special contributions to Fenner Hall over the year.  I think everyone enjoyed it.

The big news out of Australia, though, is, of course, the grounding of the Flying Kangaroo, QANTAS.  The lockout has caused quite a stir and I can assure everyone that there is little else talked of in Australia.  The government's called in an arbitrator for mandatory talks between the parties so we'll see what comes out of that; I suspect probably a back to work order.  If this does go further, then the parties may have to resort to another great Australian innovation --- binding wage arbitration.  Apparently, the practice of having an arbiter decide wages during a dispute and having the decision enforceable at law was pioneered in Australia.  I think it's actually a very good idea, and it has been picked up the world over, so we'll see if it's played out in this little escapade.

Of course, Halloween is coming up too --- boo!  However, Halloween is really a Canadian/American thing and while there may be Halloween parties in Australia, no one goes trick-or-treating.  It's kind of a shame, really, as all those children miss out on free candy.  It also means that Australians have to put up with Christmas decorations in their stores from early October, so I think it's lose-lose all around.  If I could, I would import trick-or-treating into Australia and I think it would be a better country for it.

The next big thing is the Melbourne Cup, running on November 1st.  With its $6.2 million purse, this is the most lucrative horse race in Australia, possibly the world.  It stops the country and 80% of the population has a bet on the race. Some bets are small, only a dollar or two, but there are serious betters with far too much money on their hands who will lay out thousands of dollars.  As it is the premier race day of the year, all ACTTAB staff are working and I'll be close to home, the Hellenic Club in the city.  I've been told to brace for a long day as I start at 08:30 but it I'll pass the time by thinking about all the money I'll make.  And when I say the race stops the nation, I'm not really exaggerating.  When the race is run, everyone stops what they're doing and the day is a public holiday in the state of Victoria.  Most people take it as good fun but if you win, especially something like a trifecta, you are looking at a major return.

To all my Australian friends, good luck in the Cup and to all my Canadian friends, happy Halloween.

No comments: