Monday, October 17, 2011

The Long Way Back

In the last couple of months, my blog has changed from its initial format.  It migrated from a being a sort of weekly update to me providing narratives of the days of the various adventures I had in the last few months.  Unfortunately that took a little more time than I thought but I am now in a position to start writing weekly updates again.

In the months that have gone by since I last provided a weekly update, much has changed in my life.  I've almost completed my GDLP and I expect to be admitted to practice in December.  That means I'll be a fully-fledged lawyer.  That in itself is frightening enough, not to mention the prospect of having to move out of Fenner Hall, find somewhere to live and find a more permanent job.  I've applied to several jobs in Darwin, one place in Alice Springs but I do have a very good chance of getting a job with a company here in Canberra.  We'll have to see where I end up but it's the uncertainty that I hate.

I've also written 1 of 4 exams to get a Certificate of Qualification from the Federation of Law Societies of Canada's National Committee for Accreditation (NCA).  Basically, once I pass those 4 exams it will mean that I have the same level of knowledge as a Canadian law school graduate.  The test I took was Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure and I wrote it at the College of Law in Sydney.  I had intended to write the Foundations of Canadian Law exam as well but due to a public holiday, they were unable to administer the exam and the NCA forbids writing exams on non-scheduled days.  I wrote that in early October so I don't expect to hear the results until about mid-December or early January.  I think I've done quite well, actually, but you never know with these things.  I've staggered the other 3 so that I'll write 2 in January and the final one in May.  With any luck, I'll have no trouble with them and if necessary, I'll be able to practice in Canada if I wanted to.

In August I took part in the International Cup for Australian rules football in Sydney.  This is a tournament where teams from several countries come together.  I officiated games of both the Canadian men's and women's teams.  The highlight, though, was officiating the curtain-raiser at ANZ Stadium, the venue for the 2000 Olympics.  This was a game between the USA and South Africa before a game of the Sydney Swans vs St. Kilda Saints.  I felt quite proud of my accomplishment and excited to be doing such an important game in front of quite a large number of people.  Afterwards, my umpire coach said he was impressed with how I handled myself.

In June and July I visited Canada on a sort of working holiday.  I worked for 4 weeks in a dad's friend's law firm as part of the practical legal training aspect of the GDLP.  I feel like I learned such a great deal during my time there.  I also had a great time visiting and catching up with people I know.  I even managed to get some soccer time with the Ukrainian team.

I guess that's about it in terms of my life in the last few months.  I expect to provide updates on a weekly basis as the year goes on.  It's been a long road getting back but I'm here now.

No comments: