Saturday, May 10, 2008

Esperance sans peur (Hope Without Fear)

I took the title of this post from a quote which I heard in one of my tutorial sessions. I don't remember who said it, but I believe it was a judge. In this last week, I learned something which gave me hope that I just might have some talent with the law. There is now hope without fear.

Before I tell of my hopeful occurrence, I'll just summarize the rather mundane week I have had. With final exams about 1 month away, most everyone is anxious to do well and so study is the standing order. I wish I could say I had seen something interesting or been somewhere spectacular, but I have not. This week has been notable only for it's warm temperatures, roughly 20C, which makes everything very enjoyable.

That which gave me hope is a statement made by a law professor with regards to an argument I put forward in my torts exam. The actual details of the problem are somewhat technical, and uninteresting to anyone not studying law, but the most important fact was that it involved 2 wrestlers, one of whom was pinned to the mat so that her face was pressed against it. I argued that this was a particularly dangerous move because it prevented the player from withdrawing their consent to the match. This is important because in law, you consent to legal contact in sports but not to dangerous contact. The professor said that it was the most original argument put forward on that point of the exam. The professor's statement was circulated in a post-exam debrief to all students, so I feel that I can be justifiably proud of myself. This gives me the hope to carry on.

I've posted more photos on my blog below and I'll post photos from my Sydney trip sometime in the future. Until then, good night and good luck.

No comments: