Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Quiet Week

As most weeks in life, this one has been uneventful. Curiously, nothing of considerable interest tends to happen in my life; must be me. Well, I'm generally pretty quite and reserved so I don't have occasion to find exciting things. I like sitting at home and I don't go out to pubs much, though this is more for economic reasons rather than me being averse to the proposition.

In my Foundations of Australian Law tutorial, we were asked to bring in any statutes we wanted for discussion. Our focus now is statutory interpretation, which will be on the exam (it is the exam), and it did not matter what kind of statute or from where. I brought in the Code of Ur-Nammu, an ancient Sumerian legal code. Written around 2100 BCE, it is the oldest legal code still in existence, which may mean it is the oldest legislative act still in existence. Although older legal codes are mentioned in ancient texts, none have as yet been found to have survived the blasting sands of time.

On Friday, I went to an international law students gathering where I was approached to be the JD representative on the Law Students Society. I mentioned that I was amenable to the suggestion and I think I will take them up on the offer. While there will still have to be an election, if someone else chooses to run, I look forward to representing my fellow JDs if I get the chance.

Today, a cold front has moved in and the weather was pretty miserable. I goal umpired a game at the Australian Defence Force Academy and while the rain had stopped by game time, the wind was pretty biting. It's supposed to warm up by Monday and be sunny again, so that's something to look forward to.

This last week at Fenner Hall has been Multicultural Week, with many events like a showcase of cultures and an Australian country dance and barbecue. Sunday is trivia night which I eagerly anticipate. Hopefully, I can help my floor to victory.

No comments: